Saturday, February 10, 2007

Super Bowl Report, Part III

A few hours later I found myself wondering down the strip clutching the tickets I had from the Sports Book. I was sad, depressed, let down, confused, hurt, and frustrated.

How did this happen?

How did the Bears manage to let that homo Peyton Manning beat them?

What happened to our vicious Defense?

What the fuck is up with Rex?

I tossed the $500 worth of paper into the night sky and kept walking.

“Fucking losers,” I said softly to my companion. “I can’t believe it.”

Just then a group of Colts fans passed by screaming and jumping on each other.

“That was supposed to be us,” he said.

As we walked I kept replaying the game. The first quarter we looked like all stars, like there was no way that the Colts could touch us. Then everything went to hell. The Bears team that took the field in the second half couldn’t have been the same group of guys. I think the band beat them with their tubas and trombones in the locker room and took their uniforms. It was a pathetic showing.

They had managed to embarrass them selves, their coaches, and the entire City of Chicago.

And I wanted to point a finger so badly, but couldn’t find a distinct place to direct it.

Grossman played like shit…like he did for the majority of the second half of the season. He botched two snaps, threw two lame duck passes that were easy pick offs. The kid continued to make bad decisions and showed the world that he doesn’t have IT. Yes, I know even some of the very greatest quarterbacks in the history of the game have had some dismal first seasons, and by rights, this is Rex’s first season, but they all had something that Rex doesn’t. They all showed a glimmer of hope, that they understand the game and how to play it. Grossman didn’t show it all season, and without a doubt, didn’t even come close in the Super Bowl. He looked like a deer in headlights in the pocket, refused to scramble, threw terrible passes, and over all made some horrible decisions.

But the offensive line couldn’t block anyone. And Ron Turner made some questionable calls.

And the great Bears defense? How about stopping the Colts on a 3rd and 8? They gave Peyton Manning every pass underneath to defend the deep ball, and he picked them apart. They never made a single adjustment. Never got any pressure on Manning. Tackled like shit.

By the time we got back to the hotel, I had pegged my scapegoat.

Lovie Smith.

Yes, I had blamed this loss on the head coach. He stood by and watched this game get away from his team. He didn’t react to anything Indy did as a unit, didn’t change one aspect of his game. He looked like Dusty Baker on the sidelines.

I was so pissed off and still hung over from the night before I headed back to the room. Before I knew it we were both sleeping. It was 9:30 pm.

No comments: