Monday, January 15, 2007

Playoff musings

We all know that my original playoff predictions are fucked, but thats ok. I'd like to give my personal view of the playoff thusfar.

First, lets look at the AFC. Now, everyone knows that I hate the Manning family, but I was actually glad to see the Colts advance this weekend. Why you may ask? Well, first off I have so much respect for Marvin Harrison and Tony Dungy that my feelings for Peyton can be set aside. Second, I HATE the Ravens. They are boring to watch, always have been always will be. I absolutely HATE Brian Billick. I hate him more than all the Mannings combined. He might be the second cockiest SOB in football. I remember (or barely remember, depending how you want to look at it) one "hazy" night in college watching the Game Show Network in a vegetative state and an old episode of Match Game was on. We were all commenting on how cocky the strapping young lad who was that night's contestant was. Turns out it was a young Brian Billick, and he was a prick then. But I digress. Any time I see this man lose is a good day for me.

Next there are the Patriots. They played horrible, yet beat my Super Bowl pick, the San Diego Chargers. This disappointed me because I love LT and Schottenheimer. I think they are two of the classiest individuals in sports. This also made me sad because the only man in football I hate more than Billick is Bill Belichick. I can't believe the NFL lets him dress like someone who just climbed out of a cardboard box on Crenshaw Ave. Plus he is cocky too. Now, I'll admit he's a hell of a coach, possibly the best x's and o's guy the NFL has ever seen. But I have noticed that he is one hell of a crybaby too. Mangini didn't obey King Bill and Belichick tries to make him to be a prick. I'm sure a lot of you heard LT's postgame comments and although it does sound like sour grapes, there is an element of truth to what he said. The Patriots acted like assholes after the game and they are truly a reflection of their coach. I really hope Indy kicks the shit out of them. And if Indy does win, I'm sure King Bill's true colors will come out.


Now the NFC. Congrats to the Saints. They have been exciting to watch all season long and will definately give the Bears a challenge, but I don't think they will win.

I need to totally disagree with the article below. Although I think that people who believe in "Bear Weather" are complete dopes, I do believe that the Bears have a weather advantage in this game. The Saints high powered offense is reminiscent of the 1999 Rams, and by that I mean they are much better indoors than they are in the elements. If the Bears were playing a team that played outdoors, even if it was a warm weather team, I would agree that weather would have no affect on this game. But I do strongly think that an outdoor team has a large advantage over a dome team in the middle of winter. If good Rex shows up (don't blame him for that interception that was Muhammed's fault. I'm sure Muhsin will find some way to blame Orton for his bad play.) the Bears should have no problem advancing to the Super Bowl.

On a personal note, I've been asked many times in my life who my favorite sports team is, and it has always been a toss-up between the Bears and the White Sox. Well, now I know who my true love is. In 2005 time seemed to stand still in October. The greatest feeling in my life was seeing that final out after 27 years of being a Sox fan. The whole playoffs, it was a dream. And although I pray the Bears actually pull the whole thing out of their ass and bring the Lombardi trophy back to Chicago after 21 years, this whole run will be a distant second to the 2005 MLB playoffs.

No comments: